It’s hard to believe that we’ve been in this global health pandemic for well over a year now, but as I would imagine most rational folks would say, these times have not been without silver linings. For many, the additional time at home bonding with nuclear family members has been a blessing. Others have used the time to explore other interests or to entertain new or creative pursuits.
For me, the chance to both rediscover and dive deeper into the music of my childhood years was a lifeline. Although I had begun playing these records during my Marina Soul Club nights in LA since 2018, the time away from full-time gigging as a deejay during the COVID-19 lockdown gave me the opportunity to really explore the work of these artists of the 1970s and 80s and the historical context from which this music sprang. So one year ago, I posted the first of them, Marina Soul Club Mix 001, on my Mixcloud page.
To celebrate a year of building this online mix series, I just uploaded MSC Mix 021 (woohoo!). Also because it’s 2021! While I’ve been spreading out many of the familiar hit tunes of the era–the ones we all know, love and sing along to–across the preceding twenty episodes, this latest upload contains nothing but those timeless radio bangers that you can still hear today. 58 minutes of all killer no filler smoothness! If you haven’t heard that one jam on any of the other mixes, you may very well find it in this set.
I also took a chance and mixed these songs together in more of a ‘mixtape’ fashion, rather than in the radio show style that I’ve done up to now…just to set it apart a bit from the others. AND, while the other mixes always contain fifteen tunes, I threw a sixteenth tune– “I.G.Y.”–into the mix to create a little Donald Fagen twofer towards the end. You’re welcome. 😉
Click below and enjoy!
ARTIST / Tracklist
- THE COMMODORES / “Easy”
- STEPHEN BISHOP / “It Might Be You”
- AMBROSIA / “Biggest Part Of Me”
- BOBBY CALDWELL / “What You Won’t Do For Love”
- KENNY LOGGINS / “Heart To Heart”
- BOZ SCAGGS / “JoJo”
- ANDY GIBB / “I Just Want To Be Your Everything”
- OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN / “Magic”
- LINDA RONSTADT / “You’re No Good”
- GEORGE BENSON / “Give Me The Night”
- CHICAGO / “Saturday In The Park”
- THE POINTER SISTERS / “He’s So Shy”
- DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES / “Kiss On My List”
- DONALD FAGEN / “I.G.Y.”
- STEELY DAN / “Hey Nineteen”
- THE DOOBIE BROTHERS / “What A Fool Believes”