five favorite moments from this past weekend, one spent connecting with dear friends, new friends, and a beautiful creative and conscious community over good food and good music. in no particular order:
1. news that she completed her kundalini yoga teacher training! congrats, amor!!
2. quality kitchen time
3. damon aaron, leanna rachel & patsy moore on guitarra y voz (wow!)
4. people who share their places and spaces
5. seeing people shine while doing what they love
if any of you caught my 30-minute set this past Sunday at LA’s BEAT SWAP MEET in Chinatown, here are five of the eight songs i threw on**. to put them in context, i’ll just say that i was tryin’ to switch up the vibe after the three deejays before me played mostly 80’s boogie (which seems to be the prevalent sound at BSM these days).
> MELANIE “Brand New Key”
> JULIE DRISCOLL & BRIAN AUGER “Season Of The Witch”
> PAUL SIMON “Peace Like A River”
> DAMON ALBARN w/AFEL BOCOUM, TOUMANI DIABATE & FRIENDS “Le Hogon”
> ZANI DIABATE & THE SUPER DJATA BAND “Facia”
and here’s an extra one i played just because it feels good…
> ARMAND PASCAL LIDO & L’IVOIRO STAR “Dogbo Zo N’Wene”
**i wanted to post Ellen McIlwaine’s cover of Jimi Hendrix’s “Up From The Skies”, but couldn’t find a video. it was the second song in my set. definitely look up her albums, songs and youtube videos 😉
five feelgood soul classics for a friday…i played a few of these at the end of last night’s Afro Funke’ and the good vibes still stuck with me this morning 🙂
> JIMMY RUFFIN “Too Busy Thinkin’ About My Baby”
> MARVIN GAYE “If I Could Build My Whole World Around You”
> STEVIE WONDER “If You Really Love Me”
> THE TEMPTATIONS vs. THE STEADIES “My Girl [motown flies jamaica mix]”
> SHORTY LONG “Devil With The Blue Dress”
maaan…i haven’t done one of these in a sec! i’ll start gettin’ back onnit. anyway, here are five mashups and remixes you can find on SoundCloud that i think are thoughtful and/or well-done and have been fixtures in my sets at both AFRO FUNKE’ and ECLECTICA this month. they’re all recognizable tunes that work great as sticking points within a context of deeper tunes or as great segue tools when genre-hopping. mad props to the artists and folks who reworked the originals!
1) “Work It Out [dj vintage rerub mashup]” – Beyonce vs. Tenor Saw
2) “Blow The Hurricane Whistle [neals barkley mashup]” – Too Short vs. Trombone Shorty
3) “The Stop And Gil [loop professor mashup]” – Gilberto Gil vs. Q-Tip http://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F10437843&show_artwork=true
4) “Ms. Fat Booty [danny massure hillcrest riddim]” – Mos Def vs. Danny Massure
5) “Bam Bam [sleazy mcqueen covert edit]” – Sister Nancy
five tunes in heavy rotation lately:
> “All Night Long” – DJ Reaganomics church stompin’ fun!
> “Shut Um Down [barney iller remix]” – Gil Scott-Heron a classic by the late, great gets a light but punchy touch.
> “Shake Yuh Waist” – Amphibious can’t help but feel good when i hear this one!
> “Sabroso Bacalao” – Adolfo Echeverria en fuego, simplemente.
> “Capoeira” – Thornato go find this tune as well as his others!
i almost always get into 45-60 minutes of reggae during the opening set at Afro Funke’. here are five joints from last night (in no particular order):
> School Days – Singers & Players
> Trampled Underfoot – Vitamin Dub
> Pretty Gal – Charlie Chaplin
> Carbine – Black Uhuru
> Skanking & Rocking – Dubmatix