Stream on mixcloud.comContinue reading
Mix 019, the latest set by Marina Soul Club LA, is up now on my Mixcloud page, just in time for a sunny, beautiful Sunday in SoCal!
Both Chicago and Toronto’s Craig Ruhnke make their first return to an MSC set, while it’s a third go-round for Long Island, New York’s Alessi Brothers, who start off the mix with a lovely, harmonic vocal fanfare. My favorites of this set, however, are the MSC debuts of Janis Ian, Greg Guidry, Jim Photoglo, Deniece Williams, and Maze feat. Frankie Beverly. You’ll undoubtedly be hearing more from these five in upcoming episodes!
This is one of the shorter sets of the series with the 15 tracks clocking in at just over 52 minutes. It’s a great one though, so get you some sunshine and enjoy an hour of smooth sailing!
ARTIST / Tracklist
- ALESSI BROTHERS / “Love To Have Your Love”
- JANIS IAN / “The Other Side Of The Sun”
- CHICAGO / “Life Is What It Is”
- RONNIE D’ADDARIO / “Yesterday’s News”
- JAMES MASON / “Dreams”
- GREG GUIDRY / “Darlin’ It’s You”
- JIM PHOTOGLO / “Steal Away”
- DENIECE WILLIAMS / “I Found Love”
- AMY HOLLAND / “How Do I Survive”
- MAZE feat. FRANKIE BEVERLY / “Golden Time Of Day”
- BILLY KAUI / “Close To You”
- BERTIE HIGGINS / “Key Largo”
- RANDY GOODRUM / “Fool’s Paradise”
- CRAIG RUHNKE / “Just Like Falling In Love Again”
- PHOEBE SNOW / “We’re Children”
Music is Love, so we can’t stop, won’t stop despite everything happening in Washington, around the country, and around the world. Here in Southern California, we were blessed with another beautiful Sunday, so I’ve uploaded the first Marina Soul Club mix (#018) of 2021 on my Mixcloud page!
Despite setting off with soft rock over the first three tunes, the set exudes energy quickly, sending out buoyant vibes all the way through. The set also expands beyond the familiar shores of America and Brazil with our first Japanese entry: Haruko Kuwana‘s Million Stars, a cover of Hawaiian fave Mackey Feary Band‘s beloved A Million Stars. We hope (and suspect!) that the MSC yacht will continue to be pulled back to the other side of the Pacific rim!
Enjoy these 15 songs over 54 minutes and, remember, it’s more than yacht rock…it’s Marina Soul!
ARTIST / Tracklist
- ROLAND BAUTISTA / “Gone”
- AMERICA / “Tin Man”
- CECILIO & KAPONO / “Highway In The Sun”
- PATRICE RUSHEN / “Cha-cha”
- JORGE SANTANA / “We Were There”
- HARUKO KUWANA / “Million Stars”
- VERNON BURCH / “For You”
- THE RAY CAMACHO BAND / “Hollywood”
- J.O.B. ORQUESTRA / “The Soul”
- HEAT / “Don’t You Walk Away”
- MATTHEW LARKIN CASSELL / “All I’m Missing Is You”
- THE JONES GIRLS / “This Feeling’s Killing Me”
- JUNE LODGE / “Stay In Tonight”
- JIM SCHMIDT / “Somethin’s Right”
- LATINOS / “It Must Be Love”
Marina Soul Club Mix 017 is up now on Mixcloud! I originally curated the tracklist for inclusion on Yacht Rock Miami‘s “Smooth Gravy” Thanksgiving Day broadcast. Given the 2pm PST/5pm EST time slot, the mix’s uptempo, high energy kickoff seemed right on time to fight off the onset of our listeners’ food comas and/or to rev up their appetites for second helpings.
The vibes move from disco to ‘yacht soul’ to soft rock to jazzy pop, closing out with a couple of lovely reggae numbers. The tune Night Moves, written and originally recorded by Michael Franks and appearing on MSC Mix 010 , shows up once again, this time in a lively bossa jazz style by chanteuse, Dee Dee Bridgewater. Check out the full tracklist below. Much love and gratitude to Captain Juan Luv and his mates at Yacht Rock Miami for inviting Marina Soul Club LA to his radio platform.
ARTIST / Tracklist
- MACKEY FEARY BAND / “You’re Young”
- DONNA SUMMER / “Walk Away”
- JOHN VALENTI / “Anything You Want”
- BOZ SCAGGS / “Hollywood”
- CON FUNK SHUN / “California 1”
- FINIS HENDERSON / “I’d Rather Be Gone”
- EARTH WIND & FIRE / “Wanna Be With You”
- GARRY GLENN / “Heaven Kind Of Love”
- FOOLS GOLD / “Sailing To Monterey”
- RICHIE FURAY / “Someone Who Cares”
- JANIS SIEGEL / “Lovin’ Eyes”
- STEELY DAN / “The Fez”
- DEE DEE BRIDGEWATER / “Night Moves”
- FLORA PURIM / “Sarara”
- DENNIS BROWN / “It’s Magic”