9:40pm-11:00pm ∙ Feb. 13, 2021 ∙ Zoom online Continue reading
SALA Cultura & Dance Party returns online this Saturday, December 12th at 9pm PST with another stellar lineup to help you stay safe and stay up during lockdown. With the event falling on Lady of Guadalupe day our featured guests will visit themes associated with the celebration of her significance:
theme discussion by
poetry & prose by
visual art by
DENISE CORTES (Pearmama)
live music by
deejay sets by
It’s a FREE event. Find the Zoom link on our Facebook Event Page, rearrange the furniture and turn up the volume!
These hot days remind us that summer is here! And we can still come together in new ways to connect while doing good.
That is why we have partnered with La Junta Sound System to ‘Move the Movement’! A benefit party benefiting immigrant rights. Get your people and log on to Facebook on July 25 from 4-6pm for a virtual dance party featuring your favorite Cumbias, Salsa, Afro-Latin, and Global Rhythms. All proceeds from this event will benefit CHIRLA.
We know the richness our cultures bring to this country. Yet sadly, millions of immigrants who are deemed essential, work and risk their lives daily to care for this nation without being equally included or protected. La Junta wants to help us change that. And you can too!
The dance party is free so invite your whole tribe – all funds raised that day will
benefit our direct services and advocacy work.
Here’s how to Move the Movement:
RSVP at OnSameSide and receive a CHIRLA toolkit with resources
Share with your friends on social media!
Tune in to CHIRLA’s Facebook on July 25th
So get your moves together, figure out what you are wearing, and tell all your friends
to join you at this can’t-miss summer jam!
Sincere gratitude to everyone who tuned in on Wednesday night for my featured deejay set on the @artworxla Instagram live stream! Leading up to the moment that I dropped the needle on the first tune, I was apprehensive about doing it at all. I hadn’t worked out on my turntables since the COVID-19 lockdown in LA began at 12am on March 16. I had just finished up my Marina Soul Club set at the Bamboo Club in Long Beach when was I learned that the official lockdown/stay home order had been given by California Governor Gavin Newsom.
Up until about a week or so, before the live stream invitations began rolling in, my mixer and turntables were still packed up and I was feeling rusty both physically, and because I had spent zero time listening to the Afro-Latin music for which most people know me. Uncertainty over the robustness of my Wi-Fi bandwidth and if it could convey a quality streaming experience was also a major concern.
However, after spending a few hours with my hands on the records, I felt like I could do it well enough. I was most definitely uplifted by everyone’s positive comments on the chat and the fact that it was beautiful to have friends in the ‘room’ listening! So for those that have asked, here are the tracks from my set. Thanks again and happy hunting!
01. BETTY WRIGHT – “Clean Up Woman” [Jim Sharp Edit]
02. SUSSO – “Bani” [Dandara Edit]
03. EMMANUEL JAL – “Baai” [Sibu & Joe Nagall Edit]
04. PULO NDJ ft. MATIBEYE DJE NON PAH – “Les Feuilles Trembient” (Interlude)
05. BARBATUQUES – “Na Mata” [Marcelo Vig Remix]
06. RENATA ROSA – “Brilhantina” [Sibu & Joe Nagall Edit]
07. ERASMO CARLOS – “Coqueiro Verde”
08. JACKSON 5 x ERASMO CARLOS – “I Want You Back” [Billy Hoyle Samba Rock Remix]
09. DJ TOTY STYLE – “No Pendejas”
10. CAM’RON – “Oh Boy!” [Kayjay Edit]
11. ROCKY DAWUNI ft. SARKODIE – “Kyenkyen Bi Adi Mawu”
12. TIMAYA – “Sanko”
13. TURNER, MACHEL MONTANO & FLAVOUR – “She Bad”
14. LAKOU MIZIK ft. 79RS GANG – “Iko Kreyól” [79rs Gang version]
15. TI CÉLESTE – “Popilation Basse-Terrienne Au Abois”
16. GHETTO KUMBÉ – “Vamo A Dale Duro”
17. YAABA FUNK – “Oman Foa” [Danvers Edit]