Much love everyone who tuned in to the La Junta LA Instagram Live earlier tonight for my dance party set celebrating the Artworx LA Gala29 fundraiser! Hope you had the chance to boogie a bit!
After only one brief shutdown by the IG powers that be, we were able to save the last 22+ minutes of the rhythmic, high energy set. They took me down for playing a cover of Nina Simone‘s ‘See Line Woman’, shortened to just ‘See Line’ by Toli & the Femm Nameless [clenching fist!]. I’m bummed that two-thirds of the broadcast was lost, but at least we have the uptempo part still. Catch in on La Junta’s IG feed @lajuntala.
For the several folks that messaged me after my set, here’s my set list below. Thanks for asking and happy hunting!
ARTIST / Tracklist
HALFRED & LoRENZO / “Inaani”
MAGA BO feat. B’NEGĀO / “Tempos Insanos [Copia Doble Systema vs. Dixon Remix]”
I’m so excited to be a part of this year’s DJ lineup for Artworx LA’s ‘Gala 29’ fundraiser–a week of online fun and fundraising to support arts education!
Join me on Tuesday, May 11th from 6pm-7pm PDT on my Instagram Live @glennzenn10 or via @artworxla, and donate to a great cause! All donations raised during my IG DJ event will go towards providing critical arts education services to LA alternative high-school students.
Sincere gratitude to everyone who tuned in on Wednesday night for my featured deejay set on the @artworxla Instagram live stream! Leading up to the moment that I dropped the needle on the first tune, I was apprehensive about doing it at all. I hadn’t worked out on my turntables since the COVID-19 lockdown in LA began at 12am on March 16. I had just finished up my Marina Soul Club set at the Bamboo Club in Long Beach when was I learned that the official lockdown/stay home order had been given by California Governor Gavin Newsom.
Up until about a week or so, before the live stream invitations began rolling in, my mixer and turntables were still packed up and I was feeling rusty both physically, and because I had spent zero time listening to the Afro-Latin music for which most people know me. Uncertainty over the robustness of my Wi-Fi bandwidth and if it could convey a quality streaming experience was also a major concern.
However, after spending a few hours with my hands on the records, I felt like I could do it well enough. I was most definitely uplifted by everyone’s positive comments on the chat and the fact that it was beautiful to have friends in the ‘room’ listening! So for those that have asked, here are the tracks from my set. Thanks again and happy hunting!
01. BETTY WRIGHT – “Clean Up Woman” [Jim Sharp Edit]
02. SUSSO – “Bani” [Dandara Edit]
03. EMMANUEL JAL – “Baai” [Sibu & Joe Nagall Edit]
04. PULO NDJ ft. MATIBEYE DJE NON PAH – “Les Feuilles Trembient” (Interlude)
05. BARBATUQUES – “Na Mata” [Marcelo Vig Remix]
06. RENATA ROSA – “Brilhantina” [Sibu & Joe Nagall Edit]
07. ERASMO CARLOS – “Coqueiro Verde”
08. JACKSON 5 x ERASMO CARLOS – “I Want You Back” [Billy Hoyle Samba Rock Remix]
09. DJ TOTY STYLE – “No Pendejas”
10. CAM’RON – “Oh Boy!” [Kayjay Edit]
11. ROCKY DAWUNI ft. SARKODIE – “Kyenkyen Bi Adi Mawu”
12. TIMAYA – “Sanko”
13. TURNER, MACHEL MONTANO & FLAVOUR – “She Bad”
14. LAKOU MIZIK ft. 79RS GANG – “Iko Kreyól” [79rs Gang version]
15. TI CÉLESTE – “Popilation Basse-Terrienne Au Abois”
16. GHETTO KUMBÉ – “Vamo A Dale Duro”
17. YAABA FUNK – “Oman Foa” [Danvers Edit]
Tonight at 7pm PDT, I’ll be doing a feature live stream deejay set from my @glennzenn Instagram account in support of an amazing community organization called Artworx LA, currently hosting an online art auction as part of their 2020 fundraising campaign.
To help infuse some music into the online experience for donors and bidders, the folks at Artworx have invited one of our fantastic Los Angeles deejays to offer a live set on social media.
I’m among some talented company with the likes of Ale Cohen of Dublab, Novena Carmel of KCRW, and DJ degruvme of my own La Junta crew bringing their unique repertoires in support of the cause!
Tune in from Instagram this evening, either from @glennzenn10 or @artworxla. Below is a bit more about Artworx LA’s important mission. Be sure to check out the online auction as well!
* * * * * ARTWORX LA combats the epidemic high school dropout crisis by engaging students in a long-term, sequential arts program offering a pursuable life path that inspires them to stay in school, evolve as unique individuals and flourish as creative adults.