8:30am-10:00am ∙ 07.23.21 ∙ Zoom online Continue reading
The Marina Soul Club LA mix series is back with some super yacht sounds, just in time for the official start of summer!
Please head over to my Mixcloud page to listen to Mix 022 (and the twenty-one prior sets!) for a dose of sun-drenched musical goodness spanning 70s soft rock, breezy jazz, lite disco, mellow 80s, island grooves and coastal vibes.
As usual (except for last month’s extra treat), the smoothness comes wrapped in 15 tunes, for a perfect hour-long ‘getaway’ whether via your headphones at work, your car speakers during a commute, or on the bluetooth speaker at home while you sip on a glass of pinot noir. Enjoy!
P.S. – Save The Date: FRIDAY JULY 2nd as Marina Soul Club returns to Melody Wine Bar Los Angeles for our first in-person event since March 2020!!
ARTIST / Tracklist
- JIMMIE SPHEERIS / “Nightingale Come Sail”
- STEVIE NICKS feat. DON HENLEY / “Leather And Lace”
- COUNTRY COMFORT / “Rainy Day Song”
- TENDER LEAF / “You Are My Love”
- KALAPANA / “Sunny Days”
- WAX / “When And If I Fall In Love”
- SUPERCHARGE / “Let The Feeling Grow”
- ANNE MURRAY / “You Haven’t Heard The Last Of Me”
- PAUL McCARTNEY & WINGS / “Bluebird”
- MICHAEL FRANKS / “Chain Reaction”
- MATTHEW LARKIN CASSELL / “One Night”
- SHALAMAR / “The Second Time Around”
- MICHAEL JACKSON / “Girlfriend”
- BOOKER T. JONES / “You’re The Best”
- ELTON JOHN / “Little Jeannie”
It’s hard to believe that we’ve been in this global health pandemic for well over a year now, but as I would imagine most rational folks would say, these times have not been without silver linings. For many, the additional time at home bonding with nuclear family members has been a blessing. Others have used the time to explore other interests or to entertain new or creative pursuits.
For me, the chance to both rediscover and dive deeper into the music of my childhood years was a lifeline. Although I had begun playing these records during my Marina Soul Club nights in LA since 2018, the time away from full-time gigging as a deejay during the COVID-19 lockdown gave me the opportunity to really explore the work of these artists of the 1970s and 80s and the historical context from which this music sprang. So one year ago, I posted the first of them, Marina Soul Club Mix 001, on my Mixcloud page.
To celebrate a year of building this online mix series, I just uploaded MSC Mix 021 (woohoo!). Also because it’s 2021! While I’ve been spreading out many of the familiar hit tunes of the era–the ones we all know, love and sing along to–across the preceding twenty episodes, this latest upload contains nothing but those timeless radio bangers that you can still hear today. 58 minutes of all killer no filler smoothness! If you haven’t heard that one jam on any of the other mixes, you may very well find it in this set.
I also took a chance and mixed these songs together in more of a ‘mixtape’ fashion, rather than in the radio show style that I’ve done up to now…just to set it apart a bit from the others. AND, while the other mixes always contain fifteen tunes, I threw a sixteenth tune– “I.G.Y.”–into the mix to create a little Donald Fagen twofer towards the end. You’re welcome. 😉
Click below and enjoy!
ARTIST / Tracklist
- THE COMMODORES / “Easy”
- STEPHEN BISHOP / “It Might Be You”
- AMBROSIA / “Biggest Part Of Me”
- BOBBY CALDWELL / “What You Won’t Do For Love”
- KENNY LOGGINS / “Heart To Heart”
- BOZ SCAGGS / “JoJo”
- ANDY GIBB / “I Just Want To Be Your Everything”
- OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN / “Magic”
- LINDA RONSTADT / “You’re No Good”
- GEORGE BENSON / “Give Me The Night”
- CHICAGO / “Saturday In The Park”
- THE POINTER SISTERS / “He’s So Shy”
- DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES / “Kiss On My List”
- DONALD FAGEN / “I.G.Y.”
- STEELY DAN / “Hey Nineteen”
- THE DOOBIE BROTHERS / “What A Fool Believes”
For you especially kind folks who asked, here’s my setlist from the Sala event on Saturday April 10th. Enjoy and happy hunting!
ARTIST / Tracklist
- CUMBIA ALL STARS / “La Fiesta De La Cumbia”
- MANCHA É PLÁTANO / “Remigio Tombé”
- LA GRAN BANDA CALENA / “Que Quiere Que Haga”
- LIMYÉ-A feat. DAVID WALTERS, LASS & PAT KALLA / “Voilaaa”
- MAJOR LAZER, J BALVIN & SEAN PAUL / “Buscando Huellas [Relo Rastacumbia Edit]”
- SON ROMPE PERA feat. MACHA / “Los Chucos Suave”
- EL MICHA & GILBERTO SANTA ROSA / “Suma y Resta”
- BASS ILL EURO / “La Moombahsina” (remix of ‘La Verdolaga’ by Totó la Momposina)
- BANDÉ-GAMBOA / “Pé De Bissilon [Dam Swindle Remix]”
- OREKU / “Slow Ya Boobook”
- CAM’RON / “Oh Boy! [Jaykay Edit]”
- ANDRES LANDERO Y SU CONJUNTO / “La Pava Congona [Señor Sabor Remix]”
- FRUKO Y SUS TESOS / “El Negro Chombo”
- BUYEPONGO / “Maestros”
- JOBBY VALENTE / “Mi Moin Mi Ou”
Thanks for joining us this month. Please spread the word and we’ll see you back on Zoom on Saturday May 8th!