Stream on mixcloud.com Continue reading
Stream on mixcloud.com Continue reading
My fourth and latest mix for Marina Soul Club Radio is now up on mixcloud.com, just in time to wind down your Memorial Day Weekend! This outing begins with the beloved spring and summertime anthem “Sailing” by Christopher Cross setting the tone for a smooth and soulful excursion, followed by Bobby Caldwell, Alessi Brothers, an unexpected but worthy appearance by Charlie’s Angels alumnus Cheryl Ladd, Pages, Margie Joseph, James Taylor and other amazing music makers of the era.
15 songs, 53 minutes. As always, pour yourself a glass of your favorite wine and sail where you need to go.
ARTIST / Tracklist
01. CHRISTOPHER CROSS / “Sailing”
02. BOBBY CALDWELL / “Open Your Eyes”
03. ALESSI BROTHERS / “Driftin'”
04. CAMEL / “Wing And A Prayer”
05. CHERYL LADD / “Skinnydippin'”
06. DANE DONOHUE / “Whatever Happened”
07. KARLA BONOFF / “Personally”
08. PAGES / “Come On Home”
09. MARGIE JOSEPH / “Come On Back To Me Lover”
10. LITTLE RIVER BAND / “Reminiscing”
11. CLIMAX BLUES BAND / “Couldn’t Get It Right”
12. TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS / “Breakdown”
13. DEBARGE / “I Like It”
14. GINO VANELLI / “I Just Wanna Stop”
15. JOURNEY / “Lights”
If these tunes take you back, be sure to check out the first three episodes of Marina Soul Club Radio on my Glenn Red Mixcloud Profile, and definitely stay tuned for the next installment, droppin’ Sunday, June 7th!
Sincere gratitude to everyone who tuned in on Wednesday night for my featured deejay set on the @artworxla Instagram live stream! Leading up to the moment that I dropped the needle on the first tune, I was apprehensive about doing it at all. I hadn’t worked out on my turntables since the COVID-19 lockdown in LA began at 12am on March 16. I had just finished up my Marina Soul Club set at the Bamboo Club in Long Beach when was I learned that the official lockdown/stay home order had been given by California Governor Gavin Newsom.
Up until about a week or so, before the live stream invitations began rolling in, my mixer and turntables were still packed up and I was feeling rusty both physically, and because I had spent zero time listening to the Afro-Latin music for which most people know me. Uncertainty over the robustness of my Wi-Fi bandwidth and if it could convey a quality streaming experience was also a major concern.
However, after spending a few hours with my hands on the records, I felt like I could do it well enough. I was most definitely uplifted by everyone’s positive comments on the chat and the fact that it was beautiful to have friends in the ‘room’ listening! So for those that have asked, here are the tracks from my set. Thanks again and happy hunting!
01. BETTY WRIGHT – “Clean Up Woman” [Jim Sharp Edit]
02. SUSSO – “Bani” [Dandara Edit]
03. EMMANUEL JAL – “Baai” [Sibu & Joe Nagall Edit]
04. PULO NDJ ft. MATIBEYE DJE NON PAH – “Les Feuilles Trembient” (Interlude)
05. BARBATUQUES – “Na Mata” [Marcelo Vig Remix]
06. RENATA ROSA – “Brilhantina” [Sibu & Joe Nagall Edit]
07. ERASMO CARLOS – “Coqueiro Verde”
08. JACKSON 5 x ERASMO CARLOS – “I Want You Back” [Billy Hoyle Samba Rock Remix]
09. DJ TOTY STYLE – “No Pendejas”
10. CAM’RON – “Oh Boy!” [Kayjay Edit]
11. ROCKY DAWUNI ft. SARKODIE – “Kyenkyen Bi Adi Mawu”
12. TIMAYA – “Sanko”
13. TURNER, MACHEL MONTANO & FLAVOUR – “She Bad”
14. LAKOU MIZIK ft. 79RS GANG – “Iko Kreyól” [79rs Gang version]
15. TI CÉLESTE – “Popilation Basse-Terrienne Au Abois”
16. GHETTO KUMBÉ – “Vamo A Dale Duro”
17. YAABA FUNK – “Oman Foa” [Danvers Edit]
Tonight at 7pm PDT, I’ll be doing a feature live stream deejay set from my @glennzenn Instagram account in support of an amazing community organization called Artworx LA, currently hosting an online art auction as part of their 2020 fundraising campaign.
To help infuse some music into the online experience for donors and bidders, the folks at Artworx have invited one of our fantastic Los Angeles deejays to offer a live set on social media.
I’m among some talented company with the likes of Ale Cohen of Dublab, Novena Carmel of KCRW, and DJ degruvme of my own La Junta crew bringing their unique repertoires in support of the cause!
Tune in from Instagram this evening, either from @glennzenn10 or @artworxla. Below is a bit more about Artworx LA’s important mission. Be sure to check out the online auction as well!
* * * * *
ARTWORX LA combats the epidemic high school dropout crisis by engaging students in a long-term, sequential arts program offering a pursuable life path that inspires them to stay in school, evolve as unique individuals and flourish as creative adults.
More at http://www.artworxla.org/our-ideals.