Stream via mixcloud Continue reading
It’s hard to believe that we’ve been in this global health pandemic for well over a year now, but as I would imagine most rational folks would say, these times have not been without silver linings. For many, the additional time at home bonding with nuclear family members has been a blessing. Others have used the time to explore other interests or to entertain new or creative pursuits.
For me, the chance to both rediscover and dive deeper into the music of my childhood years was a lifeline. Although I had begun playing these records during my Marina Soul Club nights in LA since 2018, the time away from full-time gigging as a deejay during the COVID-19 lockdown gave me the opportunity to really explore the work of these artists of the 1970s and 80s and the historical context from which this music sprang. So one year ago, I posted the first of them, Marina Soul Club Mix 001, on my Mixcloud page.
To celebrate a year of building this online mix series, I just uploaded MSC Mix 021 (woohoo!). Also because it’s 2021! While I’ve been spreading out many of the familiar hit tunes of the era–the ones we all know, love and sing along to–across the preceding twenty episodes, this latest upload contains nothing but those timeless radio bangers that you can still hear today. 58 minutes of all killer no filler smoothness! If you haven’t heard that one jam on any of the other mixes, you may very well find it in this set.
I also took a chance and mixed these songs together in more of a ‘mixtape’ fashion, rather than in the radio show style that I’ve done up to now…just to set it apart a bit from the others. AND, while the other mixes always contain fifteen tunes, I threw a sixteenth tune– “I.G.Y.”–into the mix to create a little Donald Fagen twofer towards the end. You’re welcome. 😉
Click below and enjoy!
ARTIST / Tracklist
- THE COMMODORES / “Easy”
- STEPHEN BISHOP / “It Might Be You”
- AMBROSIA / “Biggest Part Of Me”
- BOBBY CALDWELL / “What You Won’t Do For Love”
- KENNY LOGGINS / “Heart To Heart”
- BOZ SCAGGS / “JoJo”
- ANDY GIBB / “I Just Want To Be Your Everything”
- OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN / “Magic”
- LINDA RONSTADT / “You’re No Good”
- GEORGE BENSON / “Give Me The Night”
- CHICAGO / “Saturday In The Park”
- THE POINTER SISTERS / “He’s So Shy”
- DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES / “Kiss On My List”
- DONALD FAGEN / “I.G.Y.”
- STEELY DAN / “Hey Nineteen”
- THE DOOBIE BROTHERS / “What A Fool Believes”
Happy Spring, All!
Right on time for bright, warm and sunny days here on the west coast, Mix #020 of my Marina Soul Club series is now up on mixcloud.com!
If you haven’t yet checked it out, I started this collection of music mixes in April 2020 as an extension of the monthly dinner & wine events my crew and I were hosting at Melody Wine Bar in Los Angeles before the pandemic. Along with ‘Executive Officer (XO), Ryan Baysa, we set out to keep the music that we love alive.
Marina Soul Club is the place in our hearts where the cool smooth rock & soul music of the late 70s and early 80s co-exist, via both the widely popular and more obscure selections of the era. The mixes simultaneously aim to skip along the surface and take deep dives into the material, recalling the hits as well as shining some light on the many hidden treasures overlooked by mainstream radio in those days.
It’s soft rock, breezy jazz, lite disco, mellow 80s, island grooves and coastal vibes throughout. Yacht and nyacht for those who know the lingo. 15 songs, 57 minutes long. This latest playlist finds the music of the artists listed below together, as we think they should be 🙂 Enjoy the music and the sunshine state of mind!
- CULTURE CLUB / “Do You Really Want To Hurt Me”
- 10cc / “The Things We Do For Love”
- RENEÉ GEYER / “Be There In The Morning”
- GREG PHILLINGANES / “Lazy Nina”
- CLAUDIO RODITI ft. KENIA / “Madalena”
- CHRISTOPHER CROSS / “All Right”
- RHEAD BROTHERS / “Oh! Darling”
- PERCY MAYS / “Changes”
- POSITIVE FORCE ft. DENISE VALLIN / “You Told Me You Loved Me
- RITA COOLIDGE / “The Fool In Me”
- STEVE KIPNER / “Cryin’ Out For Love”
- DUSTY SPRINGFIELD / “Don’t Call It Love”
- SKOOL BOYZ / “Your Love”
- PATRICE RUSHEN / “Remind Me”
- MARCOS VALLE / “Naturalmente
Mix 019, the latest set by Marina Soul Club LA, is up now on my Mixcloud page, just in time for a sunny, beautiful Sunday in SoCal!
Both Chicago and Toronto’s Craig Ruhnke make their first return to an MSC set, while it’s a third go-round for Long Island, New York’s Alessi Brothers, who start off the mix with a lovely, harmonic vocal fanfare. My favorites of this set, however, are the MSC debuts of Janis Ian, Greg Guidry, Jim Photoglo, Deniece Williams, and Maze feat. Frankie Beverly. You’ll undoubtedly be hearing more from these five in upcoming episodes!
This is one of the shorter sets of the series with the 15 tracks clocking in at just over 52 minutes. It’s a great one though, so get you some sunshine and enjoy an hour of smooth sailing!
ARTIST / Tracklist
- ALESSI BROTHERS / “Love To Have Your Love”
- JANIS IAN / “The Other Side Of The Sun”
- CHICAGO / “Life Is What It Is”
- RONNIE D’ADDARIO / “Yesterday’s News”
- JAMES MASON / “Dreams”
- GREG GUIDRY / “Darlin’ It’s You”
- JIM PHOTOGLO / “Steal Away”
- DENIECE WILLIAMS / “I Found Love”
- AMY HOLLAND / “How Do I Survive”
- MAZE feat. FRANKIE BEVERLY / “Golden Time Of Day”
- BILLY KAUI / “Close To You”
- BERTIE HIGGINS / “Key Largo”
- RANDY GOODRUM / “Fool’s Paradise”
- CRAIG RUHNKE / “Just Like Falling In Love Again”
- PHOEBE SNOW / “We’re Children”