Sincere gratitude to everyone who tuned in on Wednesday night for my featured deejay set on the @artworxla Instagram live stream! Leading up to the moment that I dropped the needle on the first tune, I was apprehensive about doing it at all. I hadn’t worked out on my turntables since the COVID-19 lockdown in LA began at 12am on March 16. I had just finished up my Marina Soul Club set at the Bamboo Club in Long Beach when was I learned that the official lockdown/stay home order had been given by California Governor Gavin Newsom.
Up until about a week or so, before the live stream invitations began rolling in, my mixer and turntables were still packed up and I was feeling rusty both physically, and because I had spent zero time listening to the Afro-Latin music for which most people know me. Uncertainty over the robustness of my Wi-Fi bandwidth and if it could convey a quality streaming experience was also a major concern.
However, after spending a few hours with my hands on the records, I felt like I could do it well enough. I was most definitely uplifted by everyone’s positive comments on the chat and the fact that it was beautiful to have friends in the ‘room’ listening! So for those that have asked, here are the tracks from my set. Thanks again and happy hunting!
01. BETTY WRIGHT – “Clean Up Woman” [Jim Sharp Edit]
02. SUSSO – “Bani” [Dandara Edit]
03. EMMANUEL JAL – “Baai” [Sibu & Joe Nagall Edit]
04. PULO NDJ ft. MATIBEYE DJE NON PAH – “Les Feuilles Trembient” (Interlude)
05. BARBATUQUES – “Na Mata” [Marcelo Vig Remix]
06. RENATA ROSA – “Brilhantina” [Sibu & Joe Nagall Edit]
07. ERASMO CARLOS – “Coqueiro Verde”
08. JACKSON 5 x ERASMO CARLOS – “I Want You Back” [Billy Hoyle Samba Rock Remix]
09. DJ TOTY STYLE – “No Pendejas”
10. CAM’RON – “Oh Boy!” [Kayjay Edit]
11. ROCKY DAWUNI ft. SARKODIE – “Kyenkyen Bi Adi Mawu”
12. TIMAYA – “Sanko”
13. TURNER, MACHEL MONTANO & FLAVOUR – “She Bad”
14. LAKOU MIZIK ft. 79RS GANG – “Iko Kreyól” [79rs Gang version]
15. TI CÉLESTE – “Popilation Basse-Terrienne Au Abois”
16. GHETTO KUMBÉ – “Vamo A Dale Duro”
17. YAABA FUNK – “Oman Foa” [Danvers Edit]
My first mix of 2020 comes under my MARINA SOUL CLUB LA moniker, which officially kicked off in 2019 although there were some early iterations in 2018. The MSC format includes 70’s soft rock, breezy jazz, lite disco, mellow 80’s, island vibes and coastal grooves. Some people call it ‘yacht rock’. I prefer the term ‘Marina Soul’. In this first ‘episode’ of what I hope turns into a regular radio-style show, listen for music by the likes of familiar artists of the era such as Jimmy Messina, The Doobie Brothers, Daryl Hall & John Oates and Boz Scaggs alongside equally amazing but lesser-known acts like Marc Jordan, Laura Allan, Larsen/Feiten Band, Byrne & Barnes and more. Enjoy!
ARTIST / Tracklist
01. JIMMY MESSINA / “Seeing You For The First Time”
02. MARC JORDAN / “Lost Because You Can’t Be Found”
03. THE DOOBIE BROTHERS / “You Belong To Me”
04. LAURA ALLAN / “Slip & Slide”
05. STEPHEN BISHOP / “On And On”
06. SAMANTHA SANG ft. BEE GEES / “Emotion”
07. ADRIAN GURVITZ / “The Wonder Of It All”
08. BOZ SCAGGS / “Still Falling For You”
09. LARSEN/FEITEN BAND / “Who’ll Be The Fool Tonight”
10. BYRNE & BARNES / “Love You Out Of Your Mind”
11. DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES / “Nothing At All”
12. CHICAGO / “No Tell Lover”
13. ERIC TAGG / “Living Off The Love”
14. JERMAINE JACKSON / “You Like Me Don’t You”
15. DR. HOOK / “Sexy Eyes”
sorry to have been gone for a bit, but i’m back…and with my brand new EARTH WIND & FIRE tribute mixtape for free download! it took me a few weeks to pick out the tunes and record and master it, not to mention to design some accompanying cover art. please click one of the images below to go to my Soundclound page. you can figure it out from there…it’s easy 🙂 or you can scroll down a bit further and find my Soundcloud player with the mix on it. the track list is on the second image.
this mix was originally inspired by a set i put together for the Devil’s Pie party in February 2010…shout outs and much love to DJ Phatrick and DJ Raichous for inviting me to play at the event, thus providing the spark for this project.
or just listen to it here:
let me know if you guys dig it!