Stream on mixcloud.comContinue reading
Mix 019, the latest set by Marina Soul Club LA, is up now on my Mixcloud page, just in time for a sunny, beautiful Sunday in SoCal!
Both Chicago and Toronto’s Craig Ruhnke make their first return to an MSC set, while it’s a third go-round for Long Island, New York’s Alessi Brothers, who start off the mix with a lovely, harmonic vocal fanfare. My favorites of this set, however, are the MSC debuts of Janis Ian, Greg Guidry, Jim Photoglo, Deniece Williams, and Maze feat. Frankie Beverly. You’ll undoubtedly be hearing more from these five in upcoming episodes!
This is one of the shorter sets of the series with the 15 tracks clocking in at just over 52 minutes. It’s a great one though, so get you some sunshine and enjoy an hour of smooth sailing!
ARTIST / Tracklist
- ALESSI BROTHERS / “Love To Have Your Love”
- JANIS IAN / “The Other Side Of The Sun”
- CHICAGO / “Life Is What It Is”
- RONNIE D’ADDARIO / “Yesterday’s News”
- JAMES MASON / “Dreams”
- GREG GUIDRY / “Darlin’ It’s You”
- JIM PHOTOGLO / “Steal Away”
- DENIECE WILLIAMS / “I Found Love”
- AMY HOLLAND / “How Do I Survive”
- MAZE feat. FRANKIE BEVERLY / “Golden Time Of Day”
- BILLY KAUI / “Close To You”
- BERTIE HIGGINS / “Key Largo”
- RANDY GOODRUM / “Fool’s Paradise”
- CRAIG RUHNKE / “Just Like Falling In Love Again”
- PHOEBE SNOW / “We’re Children”
Music is Love, so we can’t stop, won’t stop despite everything happening in Washington, around the country, and around the world. Here in Southern California, we were blessed with another beautiful Sunday, so I’ve uploaded the first Marina Soul Club mix (#018) of 2021 on my Mixcloud page!
Despite setting off with soft rock over the first three tunes, the set exudes energy quickly, sending out buoyant vibes all the way through. The set also expands beyond the familiar shores of America and Brazil with our first Japanese entry: Haruko Kuwana‘s Million Stars, a cover of Hawaiian fave Mackey Feary Band‘s beloved A Million Stars. We hope (and suspect!) that the MSC yacht will continue to be pulled back to the other side of the Pacific rim!
Enjoy these 15 songs over 54 minutes and, remember, it’s more than yacht rock…it’s Marina Soul!
ARTIST / Tracklist
- ROLAND BAUTISTA / “Gone”
- AMERICA / “Tin Man”
- CECILIO & KAPONO / “Highway In The Sun”
- PATRICE RUSHEN / “Cha-cha”
- JORGE SANTANA / “We Were There”
- HARUKO KUWANA / “Million Stars”
- VERNON BURCH / “For You”
- THE RAY CAMACHO BAND / “Hollywood”
- J.O.B. ORQUESTRA / “The Soul”
- HEAT / “Don’t You Walk Away”
- MATTHEW LARKIN CASSELL / “All I’m Missing Is You”
- THE JONES GIRLS / “This Feeling’s Killing Me”
- JUNE LODGE / “Stay In Tonight”
- JIM SCHMIDT / “Somethin’s Right”
- LATINOS / “It Must Be Love”
Though I’m blogging about this here on December 1st, this sixteenth episode of Marina Soul Club Radio went up on Mixcloud back on November 13th. It starts off with a third MSC appearance by Daryl Hall & John Oates and their 1981 feel-good smash You Make My Dreams Come True. I heard it on television playing in the background during the 2020 Biden-Harris victory celebration and wanted to mark that moment in history here on the show. Besides, it’s a great pop tune and I’d been waiting for the right time to get it on the playlist.
I’d been looking for the right opportunity to insert a couple of other tunes that I’d repeatedly add and then delete because the surrounding musical context never seemed quite right for them. First is Barry Manilow‘s Let’s Get On With It–a great and unexpectedly fit entry into the realm of yacht rock, as well as the beloved Ace classic, How Long, which nestled nicely among songs 11-14 both in tempo and easiness.
We also find the MSC debut of celebrated yacht rock duo Nielsen/Pearson, a respective pair of luscious tunes by Bill Champlin and Seals & Crofts, an anachronistic but glorious 1992 hit by Neil Young (I wish he’d recorded it in the 70s!), plus a triad of sweet Fleetwood Mac-related goodies.
As this is one of my most recent mixes and hasn’t made nearly the number of ‘rotations’ on my laptop or iPod like other Marina Soul Club episodes, I think it’s going to become a favorite. I hope it becomes one of yours too. Enjoy.
ARTIST / Tracklist
- DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES / “You Make My Dreams Come True”
- BARRY MANILOW / “Let’s Get On With It”
- NIELSEN/PEARSON / “Too Good To Last”
- LAUREN WOOD / “Gotta Lotta”
- MARTI CAINE / “Who”
- LE ROUX / “It Doesn’t Matter”
- BILL CHAMPLIN / “Gotta Get Back To Love”
- SEALS & CROFTS / “Stars”
- MARC JORDAN / “Generalities”
- NEIL YOUNG / “Harvest Moon”
- MARTY BALIN / “Hearts”
- ACE / “How Long”
- RICHIE HAVENS / “Dreams”
- FLEETWOOD MAC / “Rhiannon”
- PETER GREEN / “Slabo Day”