Stream via mixcloud.com Continue reading
Happy Spring, All!
Right on time for bright, warm and sunny days here on the west coast, Mix #020 of my Marina Soul Club series is now up on mixcloud.com!
If you haven’t yet checked it out, I started this collection of music mixes in April 2020 as an extension of the monthly dinner & wine events my crew and I were hosting at Melody Wine Bar in Los Angeles before the pandemic. Along with ‘Executive Officer (XO), Ryan Baysa, we set out to keep the music that we love alive.
Marina Soul Club is the place in our hearts where the cool smooth rock & soul music of the late 70s and early 80s co-exist, via both the widely popular and more obscure selections of the era. The mixes simultaneously aim to skip along the surface and take deep dives into the material, recalling the hits as well as shining some light on the many hidden treasures overlooked by mainstream radio in those days.
It’s soft rock, breezy jazz, lite disco, mellow 80s, island grooves and coastal vibes throughout. Yacht and nyacht for those who know the lingo. 15 songs, 57 minutes long. This latest playlist finds the music of the artists listed below together, as we think they should be 🙂 Enjoy the music and the sunshine state of mind!
- CULTURE CLUB / “Do You Really Want To Hurt Me”
- 10cc / “The Things We Do For Love”
- RENEÉ GEYER / “Be There In The Morning”
- GREG PHILLINGANES / “Lazy Nina”
- CLAUDIO RODITI ft. KENIA / “Madalena”
- CHRISTOPHER CROSS / “All Right”
- RHEAD BROTHERS / “Oh! Darling”
- PERCY MAYS / “Changes”
- POSITIVE FORCE ft. DENISE VALLIN / “You Told Me You Loved Me
- RITA COOLIDGE / “The Fool In Me”
- STEVE KIPNER / “Cryin’ Out For Love”
- DUSTY SPRINGFIELD / “Don’t Call It Love”
- SKOOL BOYZ / “Your Love”
- PATRICE RUSHEN / “Remind Me”
- MARCOS VALLE / “Naturalmente
Mix 019, the latest set by Marina Soul Club LA, is up now on my Mixcloud page, just in time for a sunny, beautiful Sunday in SoCal!
Both Chicago and Toronto’s Craig Ruhnke make their first return to an MSC set, while it’s a third go-round for Long Island, New York’s Alessi Brothers, who start off the mix with a lovely, harmonic vocal fanfare. My favorites of this set, however, are the MSC debuts of Janis Ian, Greg Guidry, Jim Photoglo, Deniece Williams, and Maze feat. Frankie Beverly. You’ll undoubtedly be hearing more from these five in upcoming episodes!
This is one of the shorter sets of the series with the 15 tracks clocking in at just over 52 minutes. It’s a great one though, so get you some sunshine and enjoy an hour of smooth sailing!
ARTIST / Tracklist
- ALESSI BROTHERS / “Love To Have Your Love”
- JANIS IAN / “The Other Side Of The Sun”
- CHICAGO / “Life Is What It Is”
- RONNIE D’ADDARIO / “Yesterday’s News”
- JAMES MASON / “Dreams”
- GREG GUIDRY / “Darlin’ It’s You”
- JIM PHOTOGLO / “Steal Away”
- DENIECE WILLIAMS / “I Found Love”
- AMY HOLLAND / “How Do I Survive”
- MAZE feat. FRANKIE BEVERLY / “Golden Time Of Day”
- BILLY KAUI / “Close To You”
- BERTIE HIGGINS / “Key Largo”
- RANDY GOODRUM / “Fool’s Paradise”
- CRAIG RUHNKE / “Just Like Falling In Love Again”
- PHOEBE SNOW / “We’re Children”
Music is Love, so we can’t stop, won’t stop despite everything happening in Washington, around the country, and around the world. Here in Southern California, we were blessed with another beautiful Sunday, so I’ve uploaded the first Marina Soul Club mix (#018) of 2021 on my Mixcloud page!
Despite setting off with soft rock over the first three tunes, the set exudes energy quickly, sending out buoyant vibes all the way through. The set also expands beyond the familiar shores of America and Brazil with our first Japanese entry: Haruko Kuwana‘s Million Stars, a cover of Hawaiian fave Mackey Feary Band‘s beloved A Million Stars. We hope (and suspect!) that the MSC yacht will continue to be pulled back to the other side of the Pacific rim!
Enjoy these 15 songs over 54 minutes and, remember, it’s more than yacht rock…it’s Marina Soul!
ARTIST / Tracklist
- ROLAND BAUTISTA / “Gone”
- AMERICA / “Tin Man”
- CECILIO & KAPONO / “Highway In The Sun”
- PATRICE RUSHEN / “Cha-cha”
- JORGE SANTANA / “We Were There”
- HARUKO KUWANA / “Million Stars”
- VERNON BURCH / “For You”
- THE RAY CAMACHO BAND / “Hollywood”
- J.O.B. ORQUESTRA / “The Soul”
- HEAT / “Don’t You Walk Away”
- MATTHEW LARKIN CASSELL / “All I’m Missing Is You”
- THE JONES GIRLS / “This Feeling’s Killing Me”
- JUNE LODGE / “Stay In Tonight”
- JIM SCHMIDT / “Somethin’s Right”
- LATINOS / “It Must Be Love”